Saturday, January 21, 2012

When Hard Pressed, I Cried to the LORD

Man, I love the way that sounds.  I had a couple of rough days.  Ben has problems that I just don't know how to manage.  He has days (weeks) that he likes to hit, kick, pull hair, pinch, etc.  It is exhausting as he gets everyone in the house stirred up and upset, and he does not respond to negative or positive reinforcement for it.  There is something within him that makes him want to hurt us, and he ENJOYS it, like is delighted by hurting us.  ICK.

That brings me to our gathered prayer time that was planned for last Thursday that didn't happen because some of those planning to come and pray were sick.  Best all around that they didn't come here, but disappointing for sure.  We have rescheduled the prayer time for Thursday the 26th at 10am.

In my personal time in scripture, I have been having a great time.  I really enjoy reading God's promises and his faithfulness to fulfill them.  I read a couple of devotionals daily, but then spend some time just digging through my concordance looking up passages containing certain words, then read the whole chapter.  Last night one of the chapters I read was Psalm 118, here are some of the verses that really hit home.

5 When hard pressed, I cried to the LORD; 
   he brought me into a spacious place. 
6 The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. 
   What can mere mortals do to me? 
7 The LORD is with me; he is my helper. 
   I look in triumph on my enemies.


13 I was pushed back and about to fall, 
   but the LORD helped me. 
14 The LORD is my strength and my defense
   he has become my salvation.


15 Shouts of joy and victory 
   resound in the tents of the righteous: 
“The LORD’s right hand has done mighty things! 
 16 The LORD’s right hand is lifted high; 
   the LORD’s right hand has done mighty things!” 
17 I will not die but live, 
   and will proclaim what the LORD has done. 
18 The LORD has chastened me severely, 
   but he has not given me over to death. 
19 Open for me the gates of the righteous; 
   I will enter and give thanks to the LORD. 
20 This is the gate of the LORD 
   through which the righteous may enter. 
21 I will give you thanks, for you answered me; 
   you have become my salvation.



22 The stone the builders rejected
   has become the cornerstone;
23 the LORD has done this,
   and it is marvelous in our eyes.
24 The LORD has done it this very day;
   let us rejoice today and be glad.
 25 LORD, save us!
   LORD, grant us success!
 26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD.
   From the house of the LORD we bless you.
27 The LORD is God,
   and he has made his light shine on us. 



 14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

 20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Ephesians 3:14-21


If God be for us, who can stand against us.  Indeed.  God bless!

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you and praying for restoration and rest. Jill T

    ReplyDelete